SUPPORTING ST. MATTHIAS ANGLICAN CHURCH
Our mission, "Following Jesus, Serving People", is expressed in worship, faith formation, pastoral care, prayer, and mission for the common good of wider community. To do that, we also have to give. Jesus talks about wealth and stewardship more than any other topic because all three of time, talent and treasure are necessary ingredients in faith, and in a generous church.
Waiting for more faith won't help you learn to be generous. It works the other way around. Being generous increases your faith. That's because compassionate giving sets you free. It creates relationship, belonging and hope.
To make an offering to support the mission & ministry of St Matthias, you can use:
- Interac e-Transfer. Set up a transfer entry in your online for firstname.lastname@example.org. Such transfers are direct, paperless, secure and instant from home. No security or sign-in question is required.
- Pre-Authorized Giving - a free service provided by our Diocese. Secure and paperless, you can set it up and let it happen monthly, automatically! You can change your amount at any time by contacting the diocese, and use any other method for extra gifts or projects. Ask Tracey for the form if you need help.
- "Canada Helps". They take a processing fee of 4%, but make it easy to give online or from a phone anywhere in the world. They usually issue a tax receipt directly to you at the time of your gifts.
- The mail! At the moment there isn't a mail drop at the office, but you can mail a gift to 6210 188 Street NW Edmonton, Alberta T5T 5T4.
THE HALO EFFECT: EDMONTON'S "HALO FACTOR" IS 4.77x?
Thank you for your gift. Please know that even the smallest gift impacts the lives of real people both here in the city and throughout the world. (Luke 21:1-4) But that's more than church talk. It's proven by real research. Yes, governments know that churches improve mental health and the quality of life, so they give tax deductions when you support us. But they also know that if they had to pay to create program to replace what churches do, the costs would be enormous. They couldn't do it for the same money, largely due to people power. Don't beleive me? It's been measured, and is called the "Halo Effect". This study even created a regional “Halo Calculator”, to show how the church multiplies the value of a monetary gift, based on the aggregate of the real common good and services the church provides.
Edmonton's “Halo Factor” is 4.77x and this means...
- for every $1 in a church budget, the city gets $4.77 in public benefit.
- because total organizational budgets are $159.97 Million, the city actually gets $720.14 Million in benefits!
- if you give $5,000 to a church each year, the public good and service provided back to the community is equal to a $23,850 impact.*
- And all that is before taxes! When you factor the tax deduction your donation garners, relative to your donation costs (depending on your tax rate), the real halo factor for you can be as high as 10x an impact on the cost of your actual gift! Where else can you find that stunning a return on your investment?
The math proves it's good to have a church in your neighbourhood - anchoring community and serving people.
Outward-Looking Christians pour energy and money back into the economy, because their Churches...
- teach generosity as necessary in life
- lead by example and are more generous to other things too
- are good for the economy, generating economic activity
- encourage the support of local businesses and trades and hire them
- are honourable: they pay their bills in full and on time
- generate community engagement that’s good for quality of life which is good for business
- create jobs, employ people and pay living wages
- work to get people out of poverty and get them participating in the economy again
- also offer services to the common good through volunteer power that relieves the public purse